Thursday, February 03, 2011

Year of the Cat

Today may be Chinese New Year's and it may be the beginning of the Year of the Rabbit according to the Chinese Zodiac, but in this house, it is definitely the Year of the Cat!

This is Joey. We adopted Joey from a local farm as a 6 month old kitten in 2004. Joey is such an integral part of this household that I can't imagine what it was like before he joined our family.

Joey is never far away and inserts himself in all activities that take place in this house.

As I sit enjoying my cup of coffee in the wee early hours of the morning, before the sun rises, watching Joey asleep on the back of the couch, I think how lucky I am to have Joey.

2011 The Year of the Cat (YOC) is a Canada-wide initiative orchestrated by Care for Cats whose mission is to encourage individuals to appreciate the feline species and increase more responsible pet ownership which in turn will decrease the daily euthanasia of adoptable cats.

http://www.careforcats.ca/year_of_the_cat/2011_year_of_the_cat.html

If one of these furry creatures is not yet a part of your household, I encourage you to visit your local animal shelter/SPCA and consider adopting a homeless cat/kitten. I assure you that this will be a life-changing event.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just needed to add that sitting on the couch with Joey was in the evening, after a LONG day at work... :)

Linda C said...

Sweet! All my 3 of my cats were foundlings and the last two shelter cats. Here's to Tyson Tubbs, Pippi and now Skyler---and Joey.

Kirsten said...

I can't imagine life and quilting without my cats...two tabbies, two tuxedos and a dachsund which tries to ride herd on the cats.