Sunday, August 15, 2010

Alberta Holiday - Part II

We left the reunion location in Alberta on August 2nd--the Monday of the August long weekend. We headed home via Kelowna.

While in Kelowna, we had opportunity to check out the local quilt shops. First up was Findlay's. http://www.findlaysvacsew.com/ This shop is primarily a sewing machine dealer. They have a few nice shop samples and some yard goods, but the selection is limited.
Our second stop was Linda's. http://www.lindasquiltshoppe.com/

As soon as we parked, my husband noticed the sign.....

.......and made some comment like, "It looks like you only get 15 minutes here!" As he laughed, I had him turn around and look at the parking stall that we had parked in....

................"Correction! I get 1 hour here!" Now who had the last laugh? LOL


Seriously, an hour would never have been enough time to do this shop justice. The staff here were fantastic. I was treated to a tour of the shop, including the classroom.

As it turns out, one of the ladies I had travelled on the bus trip to the Sisters' quilt show with 5 years ago is a regular teacher here. I was thrilled to see Laurie's quilts. We'll have to see if I can get back to Kelowna sometime in the future for one of Laurie's weekend classes.






I loved this picnic display by the front door. They used food fabrics as the food on the table--too cute.

This African panel was one of the purchases I made at Linda's. I have been collecting African themed fabrics for a while to make a quilt for my daughter.

This ruler was also a purchase made at Linda's. They had a sample in the shop made using this ruler. You fuse two fabrics together and then fold and use the ruler to make the cuts. Once the fabric is cut, you fold the pieces and you end up with a Seminole pieced look.


By this time we were hungry for some lunch. I asked my husband what he felt like having for lunch. He replied that he could really go for Wendy's. Well, wouldn't you know it, in the same parking lot as the Wendy's was another quilt shop. http://www.cottagequiltingonline.com/
This was a nice shop, but it didn't have near the selection and samples as Linda's.
Then we headed out of Kelowna down the Okanagan Lake. We stopped at Agriculture Canada's Research Station in Summerland. http://www4.agr.gc.ca/AAFC-AAC/display-afficher.do?id=1180620561099 They have a gorgeous display garden there. The view of the lake would have been incredible had it not been for the thick smoke from the forest fires in BC that blanketed the lake and obscured the view. None the less, we enjoyed walking around the gardens before getting back in the truck and heading home.
This was a great holiday!

3 comments:

JoAnn ( Scene Through My Eyes) said...

I'm glad yo had so much fun!!!!

Linda C said...

I don't know what is more beautiful---the quilts you showed from the shops or mother nature's gorgeous show of floral wonders.

Harold is a such a good sport to haul you all around to the quilt shops along the way. I know DJ would not be so tolerant. He whizzes by Hancock's of Paducah so fast it would make your head spin.

That double diamond thing sounds interesting! I will look forward to seeing you test it out. It looks like it would make a nice seminole band. Maybe there is some way to combine it and the African stuff for Dana's quilt??

Saska said...

Sounds like a fun trip.

The flowers in the picture are georgous.